Friday, January 18, 2008

All day activities & great after hours discussions

On the first day of PMA Leadership Symposium my industry colleagues sent to me ... a vast amount of knowledge in an eco-friendly, shelf life extending, and consumer attractive partridge in a pear tree. Even though the holidays are over, it seems that everyone here at the symposium is still in the mood of giving - whether it be knowledge about what to expect as I grow within the industry, a business card, or drink at the bar. I'm receiving some good perks being the youngest of the group and the industry knowledge and business cards aren't too bad either.

The speakers here have been phenomenal with their upbeat attitudes and extensive knowledge they have been able to share with us. With the topics of pricing and innovation discussed today I was able to gain some great information that I'm eager to share when I get back in the office. The small group breakout sessions have been a great way for us to get to know each other and address the topics that relate to our businesses on an individual level. I personally have benefited most from these sessions, the innovation session in particular, as I asked a question about my primary job function (which is designing customized reports for our sales team and customers) about where do I draw the line between customized work that is part of my job's responsibilities and a new report I have innovated? Given my age and experience level compared with all the wisdom that was in the room, I heard some terrific answers. Shelly Carlson, retail business development manager for C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc. gave me great input by saying that I have to personally set a benchmark based on my quality of work and continue to raise the bar and in time I will be recognized for my accomplishments and rewarded.

A good advantage about being young here at the symposium is that everyone is willing to "show me the ropes" and "tell me how it is" and to me that's the best kind of education I can receive. My question from the innovation breakout session leaked outside our group and before you know it people were giving me all sorts of advice. For instance, Gene Harris, senior purchasing manager for Denny's Corporation pulled me aside and said, "I have some ideas on how to address your question. Let’s talk later tonight." Now I don't know if it's because I talk a lot and like to tell stories, but Gene and I ended up talking for 45 minutes about everything from how I can establish myself within the produce industry to the level of respect both of us share for the PMA Education Foundation and their successful progress. To me, this guy is a rock star in our industry, and I don't mean like Meatloaf rock star - but Eric Clapton rock star, and that's how I view many of the members of our industry.

At one point tonight I was sitting at the bar with Lorri Koster, vice president of marketing for Mann Packing Company, Inc., Lisa McNeece, vice president of foodservice and industrial sales for Grimmway Farms, and Ken Silveira, president and chief operating officer of Tanimura & Antle and in my eyes it was like I sitting next to Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, and Frank Sinatra. I read about these people in the produce media quite frequently and here I was enjoying a drink with them, discussing industry topics and making jokes. The best part was that each of them were genuinely interested in what I had to say to the industry from a young professional's perspective as much as I was interested in the experiences they were sharing as they grew within the industry. They each gave me wonderful tips on how to become more active and broaden my horizons as it related to my career in the produce industry. For instance, Ken and I ended up sitting at the bar talking about ways to attract college graduates into our industry and how to retain those up-and-coming young professionals until the bartender began sweeping the floor after the bar had closed.

I am very fortunate to have this experience and to be able to talk with all these "rock stars" in a more comfortable environment than in the office where I would have to wear a tie ... and without a cocktail to loosen everyone up. Even better is that as much as I want to hear old war stories from the sales desk, people want to talk to me and get to know how I started my career and my thoughts on the produce industry. Everything here at the symposium is going great and I still have one more day and three highly designed PMA meals to enjoy.

No comments: